Tag: Modo

Alegorithmic Titan contest

In 2014 Alegorithmic decided to hold a contest to promote their products Substance Designer and the at the time brand new Substance Painter. The idea was to build and texture a game resolution Titan and submit it for evaluation. The limits to the model were 100.000 tris for the titan and 10.000 tris for the pedestal. The texture sheet was 8192*4096 for the titan and 1024*1024 for the pedestal. As I up till then never had entered a contest, I decided to participate. I had a great time making this piece although it was dificult to reach the deadline while having a full time job. In the end I took a week of holiday to finish it and even then it was a week with very little sleep. I didn’t manage to win anything but I’m happy that I actually finished it.
Below are some more pictures of the piece.

A day at the beach

I sculpted these characters a couple of years ago, finally found the time to texture and render this scene.
Sculpted in Zbrush, Textured in Mari, Rendered in Vray for Modo and comped in Photoshop.

Moth rig test

[evp_embed_video url=”http://simonglas.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Renders_TestAnim_1.mp4″]

I finally have time to make another blog post. The first five months of this year were filled with working on the ‘Thors Hammer’ project, a themepark ride for the tusenfryd park in Norway. Although I really loved working on the project, it was almost a constant crunch time which left no free time or weekends to do my own stuff, no problem really, just the reason why I haven’t posted in five months.

This is a little animation I’ve made to test the rig I’ve made for this moth. I’m working on a short animation where this moth will play a prominent role, but there will be more flying insects in there. The goal was to make a flexible rig which can be re-used for different flying insects.
The render of this moth has nothing to do with the final animation of course as there are no textures, shaders of fur used.

I normally animate in XSI, but it was a real pleasure to animate in Modo. It is amazing how far the animation toolset and workflow has come in just a few releases. Every time I thought ‘wouldn’t it be handy to have …’ it was already there, like the motion path option to be on permanently, even in the model view, brilliant!!

Modelled, rigged, animated and rendered in Modo.

Adjusted Orc

Last month I spend some time on updating and finishing my Orc. I made the sculpture somewhere around May but never bothered to texture it. When revisiting this sculpture I though I could do a bit better so I changed a few things. The biggest change was that I reduced the length of the maxilla, the orc is a stylized figure but I felt it bordered on the unbelievable.

Hands and legs got more definition and skin folds and I also made him a bit older and made his expression a bit more intense, the old one was looking a bit too bland. After that it was on to texturing and rendering. I also sculpted a few rocks and added some grass and a bit of ground/dirt to place him more in a setting.

Hope you like the end product. 🙂


Left is the old orc, right is the new one.

Zbrush Game Character



Lately I’ve been making a game character. I must say, that was a lot more work than I had anticipated. In the end it took me about seven days from start to finish, including a simple rig and a simple environment.

Most of the high-res work was done in Zbrush with Modo for the modelling of the low-res parts and the final retopology. The budget they gave me was 5000 tris, not very high for todays standards, and I used 4972 of them. Modo was also used for painting of the textures, which is a little bit better than Zbrush I think because you can straight away set the resolution of the textures. In Zbrush you basically paint a vertex color map, so to get a decent resolution for your texture you need a fairly dense mesh. In Modo you really paint on the texture (which size you decide), even if you have a very low resolution mesh, which keeps the scene more responsive. An other advantage is that working with layers is easier, a drawback is that only 8 textures can be visible at the same time.

Post work on the textures as well as painting specular and glow maps were done in Photoshop. UV’s were made with UVLayout (best program I ever bought!!). Normal and Occlusion map were done with XNormal.

Here are some pictures of the character. The top picture is the high-res sculpt in Zbrush, the middle picture is the low-res model in the Unity game engine and the lower picture is a beauty render from Modo.
The supplied concept was by Red Stream.