In 2014 Alegorithmic decided to hold a contest to promote their products Substance Designer and the at the time brand new Substance Painter. The idea was to build and texture a game resolution Titan and submit it for evaluation. The limits to the model were 100.000 tris for the titan and 10.000 tris for the pedestal. The texture sheet was 8192*4096 for the titan and 1024*1024 for the pedestal. As I up till then never had entered a contest, I decided to participate. I had a great time making this piece although it was dificult to reach the deadline while having a full time job. In the end I took a week of holiday to finish it and even then it was a week with very little sleep. I didn’t manage to win anything but I’m happy that I actually finished it. Below are some more pictures of the piece.
A little sketch I made in-between jobs at work. Took about a day and half in total. I tried to add in visual lines in the design so it reads better, a tip I picked up from the pixologic Sigraph 2013 video’s of Disney.
This is a tommy gun I modeled in Zbrush. I’m trying to improve my hard surface skills with Zbrush and since I needed a tommy gun for a character of mine I thought it was a good practice to do it totally in Zbrush. Not all the details of a real tommy gun are there because I’m gonna make a game res model of this.
A head sketch of a stylized old man. The idea is to make this in a full illustration, but I’m first gonna finish my animation because I allready have too many personal projects going on. I’ll return to this once the animation is done. Workflow is below.
Last month I spend some time on updating and finishing my Orc. I made the sculpture somewhere around May but never bothered to texture it. When revisiting this sculpture I though I could do a bit better so I changed a few things. The biggest change was that I reduced the length of the maxilla, the orc is a stylized figure but I felt it bordered on the unbelievable. Hands and legs got more definition and skin folds and I also made him a bit older and made his expression a bit more intense, the old one was looking a bit too bland. After that it was on to texturing and rendering. I also sculpted a few rocks and added some grass and a bit of ground/dirt to place him more in a setting. Hope you like the end product. 🙂 Left is the old orc, right is the new one.
Two characters for a new turntable I’m working on. It’s gonna be a little beach scene with the boy standing in the water and the woman under a Parasol. The characters are still a wip but the sculpting is nearly done. The hair of the boy is still polygons as I wasn’t sure yet if I wanted to sculpt the hair or use fibermesh. But after sculpting the hair for the woman, which was incredibly easy compared to most hair systems, I’m going to also use fibermesh for the boy. Some props still have to be made, like a watch and earrings for the woman and a diving mask for the boy, new eyes for both, plus of course the rest of the scene with the beach, the water, the parasol etc.
Lately I’ve been making a game character. I must say, that was a lot more work than I had anticipated. In the end it took me about seven days from start to finish, including a simple rig and a simple environment. Most of the high-res work was done in Zbrush with Modo for the modelling of the low-res parts and the final retopology. The budget they gave me was 5000 tris, not very high for todays standards, and I used 4972 of them. Modo was also used for painting of the textures, which is a little bit better than Zbrush I think because you can straight away set the resolution of the textures. In Zbrush you basically paint a vertex color map, so to get a decent resolution for your texture you need a fairly dense mesh. In Modo you really paint on the texture (which size you decide), even if you have a very low resolution mesh, which keeps the scene more responsive. An other advantage is that working with layers is easier, a drawback is that only 8 textures can be visible at the same time. Post work on the textures as well as painting specular and glow […]