This is a tommy gun I modeled in Zbrush. I’m trying to improve my hard surface skills with Zbrush and since I needed a tommy gun for a character of mine I thought it was a good practice to do it totally in Zbrush. Not all the details of a real tommy gun are there because I’m gonna make a game res model of this.
A head sketch of a stylized old man. The idea is to make this in a full illustration, but I’m first gonna finish my animation because I allready have too many personal projects going on. I’ll return to this once the animation is done. Workflow is below.
Last month I spend some time on updating and finishing my Orc. I made the sculpture somewhere around May but never bothered to texture it. When revisiting this sculpture I though I could do a bit better so I changed a few things. The biggest change was that I reduced the length of the maxilla, the orc is a stylized figure but I felt it bordered on the unbelievable. Hands and legs got more definition and skin folds and I also made him a bit older and made his expression a bit more intense, the old one was looking a bit too bland. After that it was on to texturing and rendering. I also sculpted a few rocks and added some grass and a bit of ground/dirt to place him more in a setting. Hope you like the end product. 🙂 Left is the old orc, right is the new one.
Two characters for a new turntable I’m working on. It’s gonna be a little beach scene with the boy standing in the water and the woman under a Parasol. The characters are still a wip but the sculpting is nearly done. The hair of the boy is still polygons as I wasn’t sure yet if I wanted to sculpt the hair or use fibermesh. But after sculpting the hair for the woman, which was incredibly easy compared to most hair systems, I’m going to also use fibermesh for the boy. Some props still have to be made, like a watch and earrings for the woman and a diving mask for the boy, new eyes for both, plus of course the rest of the scene with the beach, the water, the parasol etc.
Lately I’ve been making a game character. I must say, that was a lot more work than I had anticipated. In the end it took me about seven days from start to finish, including a simple rig and a simple environment. Most of the high-res work was done in Zbrush with Modo for the modelling of the low-res parts and the final retopology. The budget they gave me was 5000 tris, not very high for todays standards, and I used 4972 of them. Modo was also used for painting of the textures, which is a little bit better than Zbrush I think because you can straight away set the resolution of the textures. In Zbrush you basically paint a vertex color map, so to get a decent resolution for your texture you need a fairly dense mesh. In Modo you really paint on the texture (which size you decide), even if you have a very low resolution mesh, which keeps the scene more responsive. An other advantage is that working with layers is easier, a drawback is that only 8 textures can be visible at the same time. Post work on the textures as well as painting specular and glow […]
Wow, Finally! After months of rendering, compositing, After-Effecting, compressing and re-coding my new reel is live. This is only the first reel as I will also be adding a VFX reel in the coming months, though that will be significantly less work. The 2011 reel is removed but I might add it again at a later date, we’ll see. A change to the site is that I took the gallery down as that only contained very old work and never saw any additions. Most of my recent personal work can be seen on this blog, and will eventually find its way onto the reel, so a gallery section was not needed anymore. Take a look at my new reel at the homepage and let me know what you think! Cheers
While waiting for reaction on a job at work I made this quick sculpt. Made in about 1,5 hours, started from a dynamesh, not retopologised. I’m really starting to like Dynamesh and definitely starting to see the benefits of the SubD-leveled workflow. I could have finalized this with more wrinkels and skin texture, but it is too much fun to start a new one 😀
Another Zbrush sculpt. This one was started from a dynamesh sphere. I’ve tried sculpting with dynamesh before but was never a fan of it as it tended to destroy your sculpted details when re-aplying. When you disable Blur however, it will keep the same shape during re-meshing and that makes a big difference. It really is only for low to medium detail sculpt as because of the unified mesh re-mesh method the polyflow is horrible and that gives smoothing and sculpting problems. A good workflow is when you reach medium level to retopo your mesh and reproject the sculpt. I didn’t do that for this sculpt. These sculpts are for learning to concept in Zbrush from scratch and not make a final piece. It went a little bit better this time, I still miss Sculptris a lot but I also see the advantages of working only in Zbrush. One thing I noticed is that sculpts from Zbrush seem to have a more defined quality then the ones from Sculptris. I’m not sure, but I think the subD-leveled workflow might have something to do with that. Anyhow, on to the next one…