A new sculpt made in Zbrush. I started again with a dynamesh which I retopologised with Topogun half way through to get better detail. Especially with eyelids this can make a big difference. Hair, clothing and crown were also made in Zbrush. Making the crown gave some challenges as the workflow for hard surface models feels a bit different then for organic stuff, but it came out good enough for a first try. Below you can see a quick making-of of this sculpt.
While waiting for reaction on a job at work I made this quick sculpt. Made in about 1,5 hours, started from a dynamesh, not retopologised. I’m really starting to like Dynamesh and definitely starting to see the benefits of the SubD-leveled workflow. I could have finalized this with more wrinkels and skin texture, but it is too much fun to start a new one 😀
I’m working on my modeling reel so updates are a bit less as I have less time to sculpt. Here is a new one though, part of a little scene called The Beach Bully. This nice little fellow has just nicked a rubber band (for swimming) from a little girl, which he is wearing around his waist (hence the hands). Modeled in Sculptris from a sphere, I’ll take it into Zbrush to add the fine detail, give him some expression on his face and clean it up a little. Not sure if I’ll make the whole scene but we’ll see.
A new head sketch made in Sculptris. A friendly old farmer this time. I worked for about six to seven hours on this model mainly because most of the model was sculpted outside of symmetry mode and thus having to sculpt both sides separately. Eyes are beginning to become less of a problem to sculpt and I’m also beginning to understand the folds and creases of the face.
I had some downtime at work this afternoon so I made this sculpt. It is a young female elf (notice the pointy ears :-P). It took me about four hours to get it this far. Made in Sculptris, rendered in LightWave.
A one hour sculpt. Free time during work days is quite limited so sadly enough I can’t work them out fully. I’m trying to get some emotion in and after some duds this is the first to show some promise 😉 Still a bit rough but there you go.
Came home from a very nice christmas dinner with family and wanted to put in another sculpt. This one took me between four and five hours to make. Eye’s are still difficult to make but I’m slowly getting the hang of it. The hat was quite a challenge since thin objects are very hard to sculpt in sculpting software, but it came out good enough. I have some ideas to make it a bit easier to get a smooth edge, but I’ll have to try that in a future sculpt.
Originally, the image ‘The Contract’ was conceived incorporating a slight camera move. A moving camera can make the image feel more alive, you feel more ‘there’ when looking at a moving shot than looking at a still image. Sadly, when rendering time came that idea had to be abandoned. It took two days to render one still at 1080 HD, and the volumetric pass (one frame at 720 HD), which was only used for masking purposes, took nearly a week! With render times like these, rendering a ten second clip would take close to 6 years. Goodbye camera move… Until last week. Since the only light which is lighting the scene is far outside the room and behind the camera the scene has to be rendered with Global Illumination (GI), and GI is slooow. The search is thus for a fast GI renderer. I first tried to use Octane for this, but ran into the limitations of my video card (see my previous post). With this option removed I turned to Kray. Kray is a fast GI renderer for LightWave. Now, I don’t use LightWave that much anymore, I’m in love with my Softimage which I find very flexible and […]